Monday, February 7, 2011

running pregnant


I swore when I got pregnant I'd be that girl out running on the streets with a little round belly. I mean, I knew I'd be tired but I used to run at 5 a.m. I could do it. These people did it, why couldn't I?

"You don't understand what tiredness is until you are pregnant." Amen.

I ran 5.3 miles and then 4 miles when I was about six weeks pregnant and didn't know it. Then I got sick as a dog at eight weeks and though I attempted to run/walk/elliptical a few times, Sunday was the first time I really ran. Three miles, though not like I used to.

In October, I ran somewhere between 9-10 minute miles on long runs. I could sprint a mile at much faster than that. Now? An 11-12 minute mile is enough of a challenge.

Running is completely possible during pregnancy but there's a lot of rules. I have to stop because I can tell my heart rate is climbing and sweat is starting to form on my temples. I get out of breath more quickly. But the benefits far outweigh the annoyance of my huffing and puffing.

Benefits of pregnancy running
Reduces complications during labor, leads to shorter labors, reduced chance of c-section (source)
Helps with constipation, backaches and insomnia (source)
Reduces chance of gestational diabetes (source)
Lower rates for pre-term labor and miscarriage (source)
Easier to lose weight and regain fitness level after birth (source)

Reducing labor time? I'll keep running.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm so impressed!! I would be like "Yay, I'm pregnant! Pass me the ice cream!" I'm not pregnant, but I hope to follow your example and get back into running (when it stops snowing... I'm scared I'll slip and fall hehe).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah -
    I was the same...I envisioned myself being the 9-month pregnant mama and still running! :) However, some bleeding complications at about 12 weeks, and doc said I could do other exercises but to stop running for the remainder of my pregnancy. While it was SO difficult, I am thankful I was able to exercise the remainder of my pregnancy and actually found a new appreciation of running post-pregnancy. Keep on truckin' - no matter what speed.
    and you're right...the more active you are, the better pregnancy and labor/delivery you'll have. I had a terrific labor and delivery - people think I'm crazy when I tell them that my favorite part of pregnancy was labor! :)
    Happy running - and exercising - mama -to-be!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staying active is one of the absolute best things you can do for yourself and your baby. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. booya! baby won't get you down! take it slow and enjoy it. think of how in shape you'll be running while pushing a jogging stroller in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping in from Mingle Monday. Your blog is too cute and I am very impressed that you are still trying to keep up with running while pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, props to you on running period, much less while preggo! ;)

    Found you thru Mingle Monday..

    <3, your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting! I didn't realize all the benefits...something for me to remember down the road! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is awesome... thanks for the information. I didnt know of the amazing health benefits for pregnancy... I will keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was a lady who ran the chicago marathon a few years ago and she was 8 months pregnant. I'm nowhere near this phase of my life, but I hope that when I'm pregnant I still have my love of running.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis