Wednesday, May 26, 2010

finding a love for healthy food

Like anyone needs to read another thing about dieting. That being said, in the last year we've really developed a rhythm of eating healthy. So to continue eliminating lame excuses, here are the battles I face and why they don't need to be so tough.


Breakfast isn't that important. 
I always thought when I didn't eat breakfast and ate a small lunch that I was doing myself a favor. After all, that's a lot of calories I am eliminating. Turns out, I actually lost weight when I ate breakfast because my body wasn't freaking out that I would lose my wagon's food supply while fording the river. I had to find my magic calorie range that made my metabolism confident it was in good hands. One of my motivations for running in the morning is that I have time when I get home for an awesome breakfast. My favorites: poached egg, half an English muffin with peanut butter and cut up bananas or old fashioned oatmeal with almonds and brown sugar.

I'll start eating healthy tomorrow.
Except you'll say that the day after tomorrow, too. And you've probably been saying that for years. Adding just 100 calories each day will give you 10 more pounds on the scale at the end of the year. That's two cookies, a piece of sliced cheese or a handful of chips. Plus as the years increase, the metabolism decreases. Five years ago I could put away five pieces of pizza and a Dr. Pepper and never gain a pound. Now after a weekend of crap eating, I'm up by three or four pounds. Word on the street is it only gets worse.

As long as it's healthy, I can eat as much as I want.
This is my biggest trap. I'll make whole wheat spaghetti, and then eat double what I would normally. Although it's better when it comes to categorizing carbs and providing energy during my morning run, it's not really any less caloric. Then I try to bargain with myself. "Well I had an apple for lunch so I can have this cupcake for dinner." Which, I can. But, it's all about the bottom line. If I go over my body's calorie needs, I will gain weight. I can run off a cupcake in the morning but two servings of spaghetti plus garlic bread is more than I can run before I have to get to work. So I play tricks on myself. I put away the leftovers before we sit down to the table. I use salad plates instead of dinner ones. I send cupcakes to work with Shea so we only have a few for ourselves. And we just don't buy junk. No cookies in plastic trays, no boxes of crackers (surprisingly horrrrrible for you), bags of chips or juices/sodas. I don't miss it either, and now I've even been known to crave fruit. The thought! 

I don't like how healthy food tastes.
I LOVE healthy food, now that I know what to do with it. I'd never cooked with butternut squash, kale, turnip greens, fresh herbs, whole wheat flour or  ground turkey before this year. But I've learned how to delete and replace. I much prefer the taste of whole wheat to white. I can't tell a different between egg whites or margarine and their higher-fat counterparts. And if it will make a difference? I just don't make it, at least not often. Aside from spaghetti and turkey burgers, I haven't made the same recipe twice in a month. That's how many healthy ones there are out there!

I'd rather enjoy my life than live longer.
I would argue that we enjoy life more now that we're eating healthy and working out. Earlier this week, we went to Coldstone Creamery. But instead of ice cream, I got fat-free sorbet (only 160 calories) with chocolate chips. I don't miss fast food. When I eat healthy, I truly do feel better. My skin looks healthier. I have more energy. I don't get bloated (except when I eat carrots). And when we do get dessert or go on a Sonic run, it tastes 10 times better. Plus, I am more confident and when Shea tells me I have a sexy bod, I believe it.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true. Food is naturally my enemy and my diet is constantly a struggle. Obviously I'm doing something right in that I've lost about 10 pounds through the last year, but I know there are a lot of room for improvements. My biggest hurdle is that I have to cook entirely for myself, which takes all the fun out of cooking. But like you said, I can't keep saying I'll do it tomorrow. I have to come up with a plan, and SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the advice you give like this. so down to earth, appropriate, accesible and REAL!
    very motivational!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis