Monday, March 22, 2010

Breaking the chains of planning

For the first time since the wedding, I feel a sense of relief not to be planning one.

There are days when I really miss the wedding. A lot. I loved planning some of the unique details of the reception. I loved planning the ceremony to making it the most meaningful part of the day. I loved talking through it with my mom every day after work. Some days, I secretly get out the wedding video and watch it, cry a little and then put it back on the shelf. It was the best day of my life, no competition. And some days, my heart aches that I'll never get to experience that day again. Because it was perfect. I still remember almost every little moment. Those are for another post, however.

I thought when I heard the plans of the FIVE weddings we have this summer I would feel sad. Instead, I am so glad it's not me. There were so many decisions we had to make that neither of us cared about. There were too many times we had to remind ourselves that the only thing that mattered at the end of the day was that we were united, forever. There were so many people that tried to make our day about themselves.

Now almost seven months later, there is extreme relief of independence. At the end of the day, we just have to make each other happy. Nobody cares what flowers I buy (if I ever bought them..), what cake we eat, what dinner we serve, or if our beer is tasty.

Together, we can do whatever we want. So this weekend the most productive we were was the hour at the gym and the hour at church. Otherwise, we spent countless hours watching LOST and basketball while eating nachos and drinking beer in bed.

Because now we can.

1 comment:

ShareThis