Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Perspective on and off the court

“Next to my son, it’s probably the worst thing to happen to me in my life,” Sherron Collins said between bursts of tears.

I've been mad about this quote since I read it Saturday night after KU lost to Northern Iowa. I grew up 80 miles from University of Kansas, I get that KU basketball is big. I feel very passionately about my K-State sports, having attended basketball and football games since I was six years old. I've cried when K-State lost to Texas A&M in the 1998 Big 12 Championship. I cried happy tears when Ski Jones scored 62 points in one game. (more on this Thursday)

However, there is no way my love of K-State sports would be on the same playing field as my family.

In the above quote, Collin is referring to his newborn son who died during his freshman year of college (refraining from judgement here). In this Kansas City Star article, the writer points out that Collins also grew up in a gang environment, has an imprisoned father, and lost custody of his son. Yet losing a basketball game is worse than those events?

It hurts to lose, and the way KU lost is no doubt extremely devasting especially when evaluating the game they realized they didn't show up til the last two minutes. But please, get some perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis