Tuesday, September 28, 2010

faith without knowledge?

Turns out atheists in America know more about religion than those of us who believe in God.




We talk so much about faith being dead without works so we do a lot of community service and make casseroles for our church friends. Which is good. But what about knowledge? Faith without a foundation of knowledge is surely dead as well.


According to the survey results:

  • 45 percent of Catholics did not know that their church teaches that the consecrated bread and wine in holy communion are not merely symbols, but actually become the body and blood of Christ. 
  • 53 percent of Protestants could not identify Martin Luther as the man who started the Protestant Reformation.
  • 55 percent know the Golden Rule is NOT one of the Ten Commandments
  • 52 percent knew Ramadan is the Islamic holy month.
I want to know about my own religion so I know that my faith is grounded in historical accounts and a foundation of fact. I want to know about other religions because not only is it interesting but it strengthens my own faith in knowing why I believe this instead of that.

How much do you know?
Test your knowledge here: U.S. Religion Knowledge Survey.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly I don't know squat. But with your help (and help of others) I can learn more.

    My big thing when it comes to faith and religion is: don't just talk the talk but walk the walk.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis